Style a single country
Before getting started, you will need a few things:
Log into your Mapbox account and navigate to your Styles page. This is where all your styles are listed. A style is a set of rules for how Mapbox will draw the map on a page. It includes references to your data, map images (icons, markers, patterns), fonts, and defines how all your data should be styled on your map. For more about styles, see the Styles section of the Mapbox Studio Manual.
To create a new style from your Styles page:
- Click New style.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and select Blank, which lets you create a new style from scratch.
- Click Customize Blank. The style editor will automatically open.
You will use the style editor to add the data you downloaded to the map and adjust the style of the country.
You can add Australia to the empty map canvas by uploading the Natural Earth data as a tileset:
- Click + to add a new layer.
- Click Upload data.
- Select the ZIP file with the Natural Earth data. You do not need to unzip this file before you upload it.
- Click Confirm. A popover in the bottom right of the screen will display the progress of your upload.
- Once the upload has succeeded, the tileset will be ready to use!
- Search for your tileset in the Source list. Click on the source, then select the source layer you want to use.
The tileset you created includes all countries. To filter to use only Australia:
- Click the Filter option and click + Create filter.
- Choose NAME from the list of data fields.
Australiainto the search bar. Click + Use Australia and then click Done.
- In the original panel, flip back to the Style tab.
- You'll see a black outline of Australia in your map canvas.
Next, click the Style tab to customize the look and feel of the layer. Change both the Color and 1px stroke fields to
When you have finished editing your map style, publish your changes by clicking Publish in the upper right of the style editor. When you click the publish button, a window will display the difference between the previous and current version of this style. If you're happy with the changes, click Publish. Your style will now be available to share from a variety of tools and applications.
You've styled a single country with the help of an outside data source. Mapbox Studio provides a wide variety of ways to use your new map style. You can use this map directly on your website or in a web or mobile application. Take a look at the Publish style section of the Mapbox Studio Manual to see all the ways you can use your style!