Video: Perform batch geocoding in Tableau Prep
- Batch forward geocoding operations convert batches of location strings, like addresses or city names, into latitude/longitude coordinates.
- Batch reverse geocoding operations convert batches of latitude/longitude coordinates into location names at granularity levels including country, region, postcode, district, place, locality, neighborhood, or street address.
You will need Permanent Geocoding enabled on your Mapbox account to use this solution. To get this enabled for your account, contact us .
- 0:00 - Open Tableau Prep and create a new flow, including the data you want to geocode.
- 0:18 - Verify that your computer has Docker installed and running.
- 0:25 - Go to the tableauGeocode repository and copy the one-line command.
- 0:32 - Paste the command into your terminal and hit Enter to run it.
- 1:01 - Connect Tableau Prep to the TabPy server.
- 1:13 - Create a script file.
- 1:31 - Replace
tokenwith your Mapbox access token.
- 1:46 - Upload the script file.
- 1:52 - Name the function.
- 1:52 - Run the function in Tableau Prep.
- 1:56 - View the results.
Now you know how to do batch geocoding operations using the Geocoding API with Tableau Prep and TabPy.
Here are some things to try next: