Video: Create a 3D terrain map with hypsometric tinting
This video tutorial shows you how to create a data-driven 3D map style in Mapbox Studio. In this case, the video demonstrates how you can use existing elevation data in the Mapbox Terrain-RGB tileset to set the
fill-extrusion-color property of a 3D extrusion layer in your style. The final style renders 3D terrain with hypsometric tinting.
- 0:00 - Log into Studio.
- 0:18 - Create a new map style using the Outdoors template.
- 0:36 - Pan to a region with mountains or varied terrain.
Create a new layer
- 0:59 - Create a copy of the
- 1:26 - Change the new layer type to Fill extrusion.
Style the layer
- 1:54 - Style the layer Color across a data range.
- 3:18 - Style the layer Height across a data range.
Explore your 3D style
- 4:02 - Change the map pitch to explore your 3D style.
Now you know how to create a data-driven style in Mapbox Studio.
Here are some things to try next:
Video: Add bilingual labels to a map with expressions in Studio
Learn how to use expressions for string and data operations in Studio.
Video: Add 3D buildings and data-driven styling with Studio
Turn on 3D buildings and apply fill colors based on building heights.
Video: Add a gradient route line to a static map
Use a helper library to add a multi-colored line to a static map image.